Basil Karampelas, Managing Director and head of the Houston office at SierraConstellation Partners, has three decades of strategic, financial and operational experience, coupled with executive leadership as a middle-market CEO and CFO. His experience includes private equity and venture capital investments, corporate development and strategy execution, and operational turnaround and restructuring. Basil has also parachuted into numerous distressed situations where he has successfully executed operational and financial turnarounds. He honed his skills working in the world-class advisory firms Salomon Brothers and Wasserstein Perella.
Before joining SCP, Karampelas was a Managing Director for a national advisory firm, leading the firm’s restructuring practice for the natural resource, chemical and renewable industries. Karampelas spent two years with the firm, where he worked with a $35 billion private equity fund, a Fortune 150 refining company and a multibillion-dollar healthcare restructuring.
Karampelas has also served as the President and Head of Origination for American Process Inc., a company specializing in the development of technologies for the commercial production of sugars from biomass. Prior to American Process, Karampelas was an operating partner at Plainfeld Asset Management where he served in interim c-suite positions at the firm’s portfolio companies, including E&P, solar and biotechnology concerns. Earlier in his career, Karampelas served as a Managing Director at BP Energy Financial Services, where he co-founded and led BP’s US merchant banking operation.
In addition to his professional experience, Karampelas also serves as a guest lecturer at the Fordham University Gabelli School of Business in New York, is a frequent speaker and moderator at energy and cleantech conferences and has been featured in several industry publications.
Basil received a BA in History and Economics, with distinction, from Stanford University and an MBA from Stanford University School of Business, where he was an Arjay Miller Scholar.
Relevant Industry Expertise
Energy, Power & Infrastructure
Industrials & Manufacturing
Technology, Media & Telecom
Download Basil’s vCard
- Served from 2008 to 2012 as an operating partner in a $6 B AUM CT based hedge fund, where he was responsible for managing investments in chemicals, oil and gas, and renewable energy.
- Served as CFO and acting CEO of a biodiesel company in Alabama, including taking the company through a successful Chapter 11 bankruptcy process culminating with the sale of the company’s production assets.
- Served as President of a bio-based chemicals manufacturer in Georgia, leading two successful capital raises and growing the company from 15 to 120 employees in three years. Oversaw the growth of the company as it expanded operations in Brazil, Greece and Romania and built two production plants in the US.
- Served as CEO of the largest solar panel manufacturer in Europe, executing a financial and operating restructuring of the company that involved renegotiating over $250 MM in debt, reducing SG&A and rebuilding the sales pipeline of the company.
- Advised a $30 B AUM NYC based hedge fund on its investment in two oilfield service companies operating in North America.
- Served as the head of M&A for the second largest private company in the US, executing acquisitions and divestitures in agriculture, biotechnology, midstream energy assets, oil and gas exploration and production, and building materials.
- Appointed head of Asia Pacific Corporate Development for a global energy conglomerate, responsible for originating M&A transactions, participating in privatizations, providing upstream finance and assisting in the development of the firms regional gas and electricity trading activities.