Carl Moore, Managing Director and head of the Dallas office at SierraConstellation Partners, has over 20 years of experience in distressed investing, private equity portfolio management, M&A and restructuring transactions, strategic planning and execution, and legal advisory services.
Prior to joining SCP, Carl had a 15-year career in the private equity, distressed investment and restructuring groups at Highland Capital Management in Dallas. Most recently, Carl served as the Co-Head of Highland’s Private Equity group managing a portfolio of 7 industrial and healthcare companies with a collective enterprise value of $700M. During and after the financial crisis, Carl co-managed a team of legal and investment professionals that led credit restructuring, amendment and related negotiations for the firm’s $25B+ leveraged loan and high-yield bond portfolio. Carl joined Highland in 2003 as an Analyst with a focus on healthcare and technology investments.
Prior to joining Highland, Carl was an associate with the law firm Brobeck, Phleger and Harrison and focused on venture capital financing and M&A transactions for emerging growth technology companies. Earlier in his career, he was a corporate associate at the law firm of Looper, Reed & McGraw and an associate in the tax section of Coopers & Lybrand.
Carl graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a BA in the Plan II Honors Program and a BBA in Finance, then received a JD from the University of Houston Law Center. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas, and was licensed as a Certified Public Accountant (currently inactive).
- Chairman of the Board of a chauffeured transportation portfolio company. Took an operational role in efforts related to the transition from an independent operator to employee business model and related litigation in several jurisdictions, as well as a comprehensive strategic and SG&A overhaul resulting in significant EBITDA improvement.
- Worked with Private Equity management team and fund operating professionals to prepare a healthcare DME company for sale under an expedited time frame and intensely competitive environment. Managed multi-party negotiations with the Seller’s stakeholder group and a foreign strategic buyer. The sale resulted in significant value realization in the face of rapidly deteriorating subsector dynamics.
- As Chairman of a development stage medical device company, led team that overhauled the finance function as well as provided operational guidance for its commercialization efforts. Led negotiation for distribution agreement with, and ultimate sale to, a major medical device company.
- Served as fund representative to a wireless spectrum company in bankruptcy. Worked on the development of a post-reorg business plan. Helped identify management and board members, and appeared before the FTC in connection with their approval process.
- As Restructuring Counsel for Highland Capital, identified certain opportunities and helped negotiate and execute restructuring transactions that formed the basis of the firm’s $300M Restoration Capital Partners distressed private equity portfolio.
- Served as key-person and on the investment committee of a group’s healthcare-focused $150M private equity fund backed by the National Pension Service of Korea.